Ever heard of Surya Namaskar (Sun salutation)? We are super sure, you have! In this piece, we would love to tell you all the benefits and how you can do them.
- Increases the energy levels.
- Stimulates the mind
- Helps in reducing the
- If you have trouble sleeping at night, the Surya Namaskar will help you fall asleep without using any external stimulants.
- It gives you peace of mind
- It makes endocrinal glands like the thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands, function normally.
- Surya Namaskar stimulates almost every system in your body.
- Improves digestion.
- Increases the strength of nervous
- It is a completely safe set of yoga poses that will not cause strain or injury.
- Once you become familiar with Surya Namaskar and how wonderful it makes you feel, you will probably find yourself drawn to performing it multiple times throughout the day, including just before bedtime. When practiced in the morning, Surya Namaskar relieves stiffness, energizes the body and refreshes the mind. During the day, it is a rejuvenating alterative to caffeine, and at night, Surya Namaskar can help you relax and get a good night’s sleep. (If you are doing it in the evening or at night, ensure that there is minimum 4 hrs gap)
There are 12 steps in Surya Namaskar, please follow the below mentioned steps.
(Note: At each and every step, inhale first, slowly exhale and come to the position)
- Stand straight with hands beside the thighs.
- Inhale slowly, raise the hands, exhale slowly and join the hands to near the chest.
- Inhale slowly, raise the hands up, exhale slowly and bend back
- Inhale slowly, bend forward slowly, exhale slowly, place the palms down on the floor and touch your head to your knees.
(Please do not bother if you cannot touch your head to the knee, on practice you will be able to touch the head to your knees. Do not bend the legs)
- Inhale slowly, take your right leg back, exhale slowly, push your chest to the front and look up. (Do not place your knee on the ground)
- Inhale slowly, take the left leg back, exhale slowly and be in plank position with the body straight. (Do not bend your back in this position)
- Inhale slowly, place your knees down slowly, exhale slowly and come to child pose. (Do not move the position of your palms and feet. Feet should be pointing back.)
- Inhale slowly, come forward, exhale slowly and keep your hip up.
(While coming forward, do not raise the head. Just maintain 10cm gap between the head and the floor while coming forward)
- Inhale slowly, exhale slowly, raise the back and bend the back. (Feet should be close to each other, pointing back and hands should be straight)
- Inhale slowly, bend forward, raise the back and take the head inside.
(Both the feet should be close to each other and should be flat on the ground. Do not bend your knees and hands)
- Inhale slowly, exhale slowly and bring the right leg to the front in between your hands.
- Push the chest forward, bend the back and look up.
(Ensure that the feet is in between your hands and knee should not touch the ground)
- Inhale slowly, bring the left leg in between the hands, exhale slowly and bend forward.
(You don’t have to move the position of your palms, as we would be just bringing the leg to the front. Do not bend your legs in this position)
- Inhale slowly, raise the hands up, exhale slowly, bend back and look up .
- Come back to the initial position with the hands together in namaskar position (palms joined).
- Anyone with very high blood pressure should avoid Surya Namaskar.
- Heart patients should avoid this.
- Anyone with severe back problems should also avoid
- Pregnant ladies should also avoid Surya Namaskar.
What are the six kriyas in kriya yoga ?
The six kriyas in kriya yoga are:
- Kapalabhati: kapala is sanskrit word for skull and bhati is a sanskrit word for shine. This pranayama or breathing technique purifies the frontal region of the brain and cleanses the respiratory system an nasal passage.
- Trataka:Trataka the exercise of fixing the gaze steadily on an object without blinking.this practice of trataka activates the tear glands, purifying the visual system.
- Neti :Neti is a of technique to purify the nostrils.
- Dhouti:Dhouti kriya are meant for cleansing the intestine. There are three types of dhouti kriyas, all which are helpful to relieve gastric issues, acidity and asthma.
- Nauli :Naul kriya purifies and strengthens all the vital internal organs.
- Vasti : vasti kriya is the practice of cleaning the rectum and is essentially a yogic enema to clean the colon.
What happens if you do surya namaskar everyday?
Surya namaskar is the sanskrit name for a specific sequence of twelve yoga asana,otherwise known as a sun salutation.It is one of the most widely known yoga practices,incorporated into several different traditions such as:
- Hatha yoga
- Vinyasa yoga
- Ashtanga yoga
If you perform surya namaskar daily:
- Helps with weight loss
- Strengthens muscles and joints
- Improved complexion
- Ensures a better functioning of digestive system
- Helps to combat insomnia
- Ensures regular menstrual cycle
- Useful in treatment of frozen shoulders
- Brings down blood sugar levels
- Spinal cord and abdominal muscles are stretched
- Strengthens your back
Know the importance of Yoga
The term yoga in the western world refers to the modern form of Hatha yoga and poster based physical fitness, stress relief and relaxation technique. It consists of number of Asanas. Yoga was first mentioned in the Rigveda. Many experts agree that yoga works in different ways to bring about a healthy weight.
Yoga recharges the body with cosmic energy and facilitates:
- It promotes self-healing
- It increases the self-awareness
- It helps to increase focus, concentration and attention in children
- It enhances personal power
- It helps in attainment of perfect equilibrium and harmony
- It helps to remove negative blocks from the mind
- It helps to reduce stress and physical body by activating the parasympathetic nervous system
- It helps to remove toxins from body
- It helps to lose weight
Why fresh air is important for mental health ?
Know the importance of Aquatic food
Know about some common types of cancer
Here are some tips to increase fiber for a healthy gut
Everything You Need To Know About Low Back Ache
How To Remove Dark Circles
What is Psoriasis and How do we Treat
What is Black Fungus | Where is it Present
Covid 19 Recovery Exercises at Home
Nutrition2 years ago
Dhanteras special: Make a smart investment with Iron-rich foods and diet tips
Celebrity Health2 years ago
Cancer survivor Manisha Koirala writes about “Arduous Journey Of Treatment”
FEATURED HEALTH TOPICS2 years ago
Are you taking too much vitamin D?
Covid2 years ago
Post-Covid fatigue is most prevalent in diabetes patients: Study
HEALTH NEWS2 years ago
Why do you need to develop a healthy-eating plan During Diabetes or Pre-diabetes state
FEATURED HEALTH TOPICS2 years ago
Tips for Asthma patients to enjoy a safe Diwali
Nutrition2 years ago
Amazing health benefits of Jackfruit
TRENDING2 years ago
Enjoy Diwali without gaining weight