Most effective exercises for Covid-19
Coronavirus! This word needs introduction. It mainly affects the lungs and causes pneumonia, type 2 respiratory failure, ARDS, Lung injury, sepsis. Many people are recovering from Covid and are also facing complications.
These days, many exercise related videos are trending for Covid on social media. Most of the popular exercises are diaphragmatic, pursed lip breathing, spiro, ballon blowing, prone position. But all of this we should know when to do? What kind of exercises we should do? Fret not! We bought you this piece exclusively for these doubts.
- Exercise prescription should be according to respiratory rate, heart rate, oxygen saturation (spo2)
- Before doing any exercise check heart rate, respiratory rate, spo2 if respiratory rate more than 45, heart rate 95 bpm, spo2 less than 90% – one shouldn’t encourage strenuous exercises or vigorous exercises
- Perform Relaxed breathing ( inhale through mouth and exhale through nose )
- Spiro (slowly ) 5 repetitions then give rest for 10 mins and repeat it again for 5 repetitions
- Diaphragmatic breathing: Diaphragm is the major respiratory muscle. Place the one hand over the abdomen and the other hand over the chest. Inhale through mouth and exhale through nose.
- Pursed lip breathing : Purse your lips as if you were going to whistle and breath out. This is one of the simplest ways to control SOB.
- If person is not comfortable in prone position or contradictory in prone position, should encourage side lying.
- Side Lying : Diaphragm will be relaxed due to gravity eliminated position, so it reduces the overload on the diaphragm.
For further information and consultation:
Dr. M.B.shalini (Physiotherapist)
For any queries , kindly email to email@example.com
What is the tinetti test?
To assess the quality of gait and balance deficits in the patients with poor balance and decreased lower body stability, the tinetti balance assessment tool is used by the physical therapist. The tinetti test is sometimes called the performance oriented mobility assessment (POMA).
Poor balance can result from a variety of different causes, including:
- Aging and associated muscle weakness
- Sedentary behavior
- Injuries that affect the ankles, knees, or hips
- Condition that can cause weakness in the leg muscles, such as arthritis or spinal stenosis
- Neurological conditions
- Sensory loss from peripheral neuro-pathy
A physical therapist will ask the patient to walk while observing the patient’s gait quality to score the following domains of the gait section of the tinetti test:
- Hesitancy with gait
- Step length and height
- Step symentry
- step continuity
- path deviation
- walking stance
- trunk sway
For the balance section of the tinetti test, a physical therapist will ask the patient to perform the following positions while observing the quality of the patient’s movements an ability to stay balanced :
- Sitting balanced in a chair
- Rising from a chair
- Standing balance
- Standing balance when nudged at the chest
- Standing balance with eyes closed
- Turning 360 degrees
- Sitting down
Know the difference between physical therapy and physiotherapy
If your pain is limiting you from performing any day-to-day activities, then is recommended to consult physical therapist (PT). There are different number of treatments and exercises to treat your pain and to regain strength, mobility, and range of motion. Physical therapy is more physical. Mostly the health care workers who completed their physical therapy education and training are called physical therapists.
Physiotherapist is known as Physio. They usually use electrical stimulation to the patient. This is beneficial for patient to decrease the pain and improve the blood flow. In physiotherapy, different types of exercises are also used. The experts may also use other forms of treatments like acupuncture.
In acupuncture treatment, thin needles are placed into the body. Through this process they stimulate the nerves in the body. Mostly in many parts of the world physiotherapists may use dry needles because due to the dry needling, the needles are inserted into the muscle knot. Due to which tiny twitches in the muscle is caused, this helps to treat painful muscle tension.
Fix Your Posture For A Healthy Spine!
Apart from obvious physical appearance, here’s how you can identify if you are having postural imbalance-
- Frequent aches and stiffness in your joints and muscles
- Random episodes of headache
- Curved neck, rounded shoulders and potbelly
- Back pain
One can follow simple lifestyle recommendations and some common exercises to improve and maintain a healthy posture.
Here are a few ways to fix incorrect posture-
- Pay attention to your body.
Wherever you are working on the sofa, couch or chair, check for any kind of discomfort or strain. Your body will always tell you if something is not right. A small adjustment will always make the difference.
- Be aware of your posture.
Try not to be over conscious but always keep a regular check about the way you sit, place your hand around the laptop, and concentrate over the screen. Look down with your eyes, not neck.
- Move around often.
Do not keep things like water, tea/coffee or related items over hand reach distance. Always get up and move to grab the things you need. Getting up for water will help you move more. One should move around every 30-40 minutes. Make sure you stretch in between the breaks.
- Work in a good light.
Make sure you have good lighting around. During day time, sunlight would be the best option. It goes the same with the kind of proper ventilation. Lack of both also contributes to postural malpractice.
- Rest your eyes.
Keep the right angle for viewing the computers or other screens and an ideal head neck position. Along with this, don’t forget to rest your eyes at regular intervals. Intermediately keep changing your view, look outside the window and if needed shut your eyes.
Some general exercises one can perform to improve or maintain posture
- Chin tucks
- Back extension
- Corner of the wall Chest stretches.
- Calf pumps
- Seated stretches
Why fresh air is important for mental health ?
Know the importance of Aquatic food
Know about some common types of cancer
Here are some tips to increase fiber for a healthy gut
Everything You Need To Know About Low Back Ache
How To Remove Dark Circles
What is Psoriasis and How do we Treat
What is Black Fungus | Where is it Present
Covid 19 Recovery Exercises at Home
Nutrition1 year ago
Dhanteras special: Make a smart investment with Iron-rich foods and diet tips
Celebrity Health1 year ago
Cancer survivor Manisha Koirala writes about “Arduous Journey Of Treatment”
FEATURED HEALTH TOPICS1 year ago
Are you taking too much vitamin D?
Covid1 year ago
Post-Covid fatigue is most prevalent in diabetes patients: Study
HEALTH NEWS1 year ago
Why do you need to develop a healthy-eating plan During Diabetes or Pre-diabetes state
FEATURED HEALTH TOPICS1 year ago
Tips for Asthma patients to enjoy a safe Diwali
Nutrition1 year ago
Amazing health benefits of Jackfruit
TRENDING1 year ago
Enjoy Diwali without gaining weight